Monday, June 6, 2011

Jem Journal Entry: To Kill a Mockingbird

June 1, 1933

Yesterday was Tom Robinson's trail. We went to see it with Scout and Dill… it was pretty rough for them. I should have let them stay. Everyone around is different now, I always thought the Maycomb folks were the best folks in the world, but up to yesterday they completely changed except for Cal, Ms. Maudie, and some other folks.

Maycomb has always been my home and I don’t understand why they would do such a thing. After what Mr. Ewell did to my father and what folks have been saying that his going to kill him. I've been scared and so had Scout. I talked to Scout last night, about what kind of folks Maycomb has. There are us, the Cunningham, Ewells and the Negros. Everyone looks down at one, we look down at the Cunningham the Cunningham looks down as the Ewells and the Ewells look down at the Negros. I used to think there was only one kind of folk. Folks. I was wrong. Like Atticus said that all men are created equal... right now the only equal who are treated equal are the white folks.

I wish everyone would not look down at each other. I wish everyone would be fair to one another. That trail was not a fail one and I know that maybe Atticus might not leave to see the change, but when I grow up I'm going to do what Atticus did. He is now every respected by the blacks and some whites. I know I'm going to do the same and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment