Monday, August 23, 2010

Memoir Monday: Answer or Decline?


“Ring ring ring!” the Skype pop-up icon appears on the computer screen. My grandparents. Should I press the green square that says answer or the red one that says decline? I can’t believe that I’m actually thinking of this right now…what if it was an emergency or just another of those calls where they just want to ask how school was or something like that. I feel bad thinking this but they literally, call twice each day! I don’t blame them for doing that because I know how much they love us and miss us; I can’t ask for anything better but sometimes I wish I could just hit the red button that says decline.

It’s not that I don’t love them or anything it’s just that everyone has their schedule like mine is go to school, go to triathlon practice, shower, eat dinner, do homework, get distracted by Facebook a bit, and go to sleep, by the end of the day you are completely exhausted and don’t have anything left in you to talk with your grandparents.

Once again the pop-up icon appears on the computer screen… answer or decline I say. For a moment I can picture my grandparents sitting there waiting eagerly to talk to us. It might be because the days and hours are shorter for them because there life is ending and the only thing that fills in that time is the love and affection we give them. They want to make their life longer throughout the activities, achievements, the suffering, the happiness, the sadness and most importantly complete there rest of their life with love and joy.

I realized that when time passes the only thing that is left is the people you love and care for. As a granddaughter the only thing that is left is for me to do is to leave the best memory possible with the only thing they ask for…love.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really great memoir! It makes me want to talk to my granddparents more often. It's a really good realization at the end too! I completely agree! LOVED ITT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome memoir Luciana!!! You put in lottts of your thoughts and feelings into this. I understand how you feel. It happens to me too .
    At the end, I like how you said, " As a granddaughter the only thing that is left is for me to do is to leave the best memory possible with the only thing they ask for…love."
    GREAT JOB :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It´s beautiful. When I read the third paragraph, it came to my mind, my situation with my grandparents, and that made me cry. is very well written.
    great job!

    ReplyDelete